<![CDATA[GhanaWeb News - Latest Ghana News]]>Fri, 22 Sep 2017 22:37:05 -0100Weebly<![CDATA[Fishermen call for help as tidal waves destroy canoes]]>Mon, 12 Jun 2017 11:15:54 GMThttp://ghanaweb-news.com/1/post/2017/06/fishermen-call-for-help-as-tidal-waves-destroy-canoes.html Source: citifmonline. com - Fishermen on the coast of the Mfantseman Municipality in the Central Region, have had their canoes and other fishing equipment destroyed following strong tidal waves that swept through the area on Saturday night.
The waves affected Ankaful, a suburb of Saltpond, Nankesedo, Kormantse, Abandze and Anomabo.

One fisherman from Saltpond was reportedly injured while trying to salvage his fishing equipment, but has since been treated at the Saltpond Municipal Hospital and discharged.

Another fisherman at Saltpond, whose canoes and fishing nets were damaged, recounted to Citi News that “it was around 10:00pm last night that we heard shouts that the canoes we anchored on the sea have been hit by tidal waves.”

“When we came around, we saw our canoes so badly damaged that nothing can be done about it.

As for the fishing nets, we can repair some of them but for the canoes, no.”

Thus, the fisherman said, “we are humbly appealing go government to come to our aid because without our canoes, we will remain without a source of livelihood.”

Tidal waves overcome Ketu South fishing community 

Also in Blekusu, a fishing community in the Ketu South Municipality of Volta Region, was in the early hours of Sunday, hit by strong tides leaving parts of the area flooded.

The ravaging sea water also affected the main road connecting Denu and Keta. Some residents, mostly fisher folk, are counting their losses as they had been displaced.

Some of them have tried to salvage their belongings through the flood to higher ground for safety.

]]>
<![CDATA[President pledges to stop Ghana's over-reliance on foreign aid]]>Mon, 12 Jun 2017 10:56:26 GMThttp://ghanaweb-news.com/1/post/2017/06/president-pledges-to-stop-ghanas-over-reliance-on-foreign-aid.html President Nana Addo Danquah Akufo- Addo has reiterated his determination to stop the over reliance on foreign partners to finance the country's budget by ensuring that the citizens do so with from their own resources.
"So you will be hearing a great deal about the Ghana that I am seeking with your support that is a Ghana beyond aid. A Ghana that will free itself from a mindset of dependence, of charity, of aid and handouts. The Ghana that is going to mobilise its own resources to develop and confront its own problems," he stated.

The President said this while addressing the Ghanaian community at a Town hall meeting at the New York University (NYU) in New York at the weekend.

This was on the side lines of United Nations High Level Oceans Conference that brought him to the US, for the first time since he became President.

Bubbling with confidence, the Ghanaian Leader maintained that "We are capable of doing it. We have the means to do it".

Even though the country is grateful for the support of her benefactors, he pointed out that "frankly I don't think that is the path Ghanaians should be committed to, that one will depend on others to be able to finance our budget, for others to set our priorities. We have to finance our own budget and set our priorities for ourselves".

President Akufo Addo gave a picture of various efforts and strategies that his administration was using to make the Ghanaian economy a robust one, eliminate corruption and strengthen existing public institutions and to generate employment, especially for the youth.

"The matter of corruption in our society, in our public life cannot be ignored by any of us, if indeed we want to see a more prosperous future for the country,” he noted.

Regarding the establishment of the Office of Special Prosecutor, the President said that it would be independent of the Executive, and shall be chosen in a transparent manner and also have security of tenure.

He disclosed that a bill to set up that Special Prosecutor's office would be placed before Parliament before it rise and expressed the hope that it would be passed by the middle of July.

On the declaration of assets by public Office holders, he said Parliament would be asked to consider the possibility of making the assets public.

To forestall the abuse in the public procurement, he said that the issue of sole sourcing was being replaced by competitive bidding, to eliminate corruption.

To this end, he said a Minister of State has been assigned to ensure that there was transparency in the system.

He announced that a National Identification system that would cover all Ghanaians would be re-launched by the end of the year for purposes of planning and information.

Expressing total support for the on-going nationwide campaign against illegal mining (galamsey) that had resulted in polluting the country's rivers and destroyed the environment, President Akufo Addo repeated that that cannot happen or continue to happen in the country.

He said that very soon those engaged in the galamsey would be made to fill the holes created and also to clean the countryside.

President Akufo-Addo said the government was not “doing this because

we are against mining, after all the minerals have to be extracted, but what we are not going to allow is compromising the future of our country, drying up of our rivers, pollution of our atmosphere by illegal small scale mining. We are not going to allow that”.

The moment the President mentioned Representation of the Peoples Amendment Law (ROPAL), it was greeted with shouts of acceptance but he quickly asked them to intensify their advocacy power to get the Electoral Commission to comply with the law that was passed more than eight years ago.

He said under the 1992 Constitution, it was only the EC that would make it happen.

He also invited the Ghanaian Diaspora to attend the Diaspora Summit scheduled for Accra in July 5 to 8 to map out how to mobilise and utilise their expertise and capital for the development of the country.

Welcoming the President and his entourage, Mrs Martha Pobee, Permanent Representative to the United Nations said the Mission and Consulate General in New York have active engagements with the Ghanaian Diaspora and recognised their dynamic and enterprising potentials for the development of Ghana.

]]>
<![CDATA[‘Corrupt’ Mustapha Hamid shouldn’t dare me - Alhaji Bature]]>Mon, 12 Jun 2017 10:52:06 GMThttp://ghanaweb-news.com/1/post/2017/06/corrupt-mustapha-hamid-shouldnt-dare-me-alhaji-bature.html Source; mynewsgh.com - The Minister of Information, Mustapha Hamid has been described as ‘corrupt’ and known to be peddling falsehood just to make the government of the day look good.
Alhaji Bature Iddrissu, Managing Editor of the Al Hajj Newspaper alleged the Information Minister while reacting to claims that some key figures in the past government had stolen state funds, disclosed that they have started refunding the amount after they were caught.

“His comments were laced with pure propaganda because the affected persons blatantly denied that they neither engaged in such financial scandals nor refunded monies. So which is which”, he asked.

According to him, the persons he was alleged to have accused of embezzling state funds are persons with reputation, dignity, families and is therefore worried government through the Information Ministry is embarking on such an agenda to score cheap political points.

“That Mustapha Hamid should be careful because he is dirty. I am telling you he is not clean, ask him. I am repeating it on your station here and he should dare me. You come and sIt on air and malign people deliberately just to use it to score cheap political points. How can you continue to lean on propaganda while you are in power, it cannot wash”, he said.

He counseled the Minister to be cautious before he is used by his own party and when exposed would be dumped.

“Why will you do this to your fellow Ghanaian? I am happy that up to now they have not been able to name one minister that he is corrupt. If you bend down to look at the buttocks of your colleague someone maybe looking at yours. Who tells you commissions and omissions is not happening at your rule? If we want to all fight corruption, we must do it fairly. Is President himself clean”, he asked

He indicated that if the President is indeed committed to fighting corruption, we must seek the sources from which money was donated for his campaign in the run-up to the 2016 campaigns.

]]>
<![CDATA[Release of Delta 8 unlawful - Mahama]]>Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:13:11 GMThttp://ghanaweb-news.com/1/post/2017/06/release-of-delta-8-unlawful-mahama.html Source: primenewsghana. com - Former President John Mahama has expressed worry about the decision of the Attorney-General's Department, to free eight Delta Force members arrested for storming a Kumasi Circuit Court, to release some other members who were standing trial.
According to Mr Mahama the release of the Delta 8 does not speak well for the rule of law.

The former President, addressing party faithful's in Ashaiman to mark the silver jubilee of the NDC said the laws of the country should be allowed to work.

Citing the Montie three case as an example, the President said his government, allowed the law to work when it was faced with a similar situation.

“There are issues that this government has to focus on addressing and one of those is political vigilantism. We all witnessed what happened when the Montie three case came up. We did not decide to cover up or protect anyone or interfere. We allowed the laws to work. They went to court, afterwards they were jailed for more than a month until I exercised my powers as a President to call for their release.”

Thirteen members of pro-NPP group delta force attacked the regional security coordinator for Ashanti region and were arrested. While standing trial, another 8 members of the group vandalised the court and freed them.

The 8 were arrested, but later released after the principal state attorney in Ashanti Region dropped the case for want of evidence. 

John Dramani Mahama also criticized the governing New Patriotic Party for dismissing some public sector workers. He believes it sets a bad precedence for the governance system of the country.

“When I came to power, I left most of these public sector workers but when this [NPP] government took over, they dismissed them, and this is a bad precedent for our governance because potentially government can change in every four years so if another government takes over , it means all those working in the public sector have to be dismissed for a new crop of employees to take over and this is bad for governance.”

]]>
<![CDATA[Ghana Railway inaugurates nine member tender committee]]>Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:08:32 GMThttp://ghanaweb-news.com/1/post/2017/06/ghana-railway-inaugurates-nine-member-tender-committee.html Source: GNA - Mr Joe Ghartey, Minister for Railways Development, has called on the leadership of the Ghana Railway Company Limited to develop pragmatic strategies so as to utilize all resources for the revival of the railway.
He said the 518 million cedis budget allocation to the Company was huge enough to transform the fortunes of the once cherished means of transportation to its former glory.

The Railways Development Minister said this when he swore in a nine member Entity Tender Committee officers into office in accordance with the National Procurement Act Regulations. Mr Ghartey said the investment into the sector formed part of the building block for the revamping of the railways sector.

On the procurement Act of Ghana, the Railway Minister said the government had put in place such laws to protect the public purse. Mr John Essel, Acting Managing Director of the Railway and Chairman of the Committee said the committee would work to bring maximum transparency in the procurement of goods and services.

]]>
<![CDATA[One feared dead in Cape Coast tidal wave disaster]]>Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:04:54 GMThttp://ghanaweb-news.com/1/post/2017/06/one-feared-dead-in-cape-coast-tidal-wave-disaster.html Source: myjoyonline. com - One person is feared dead in yet another tidal waves disaster this time in the Central Region.

The deceased person is believed to be a fisherman who was unable to swim ashore after the canoe he was sitting in was over turned by the waves. Joy News’ Central Region correspondent, Richard Kojo Nyarko reports that three other fishermen who were in the same canoe managed to swim ashore.
Officials have begun performing rituals for the body of the deceased person to be washed ashore, Nyarko indicated.

At least three fishing communities were hit by the disaster. Fishermen in Cape Coast, Ankaful and Saltpond had their livelihoods completely destroyed. According to Nyarko more than a dozen canoes were destroyed in the disaster, Sunday.

The residents have attributed the tidal waves to sand mining activities in the area.

They are calling on government to provide sand breaks to at least mitigate any future tidal wave disaster.

The Central Region was not the only region affected by tidal waves, Sunday. In the Volta Region, over 1,500 people have been displaced.

Over 242 houses were submerged and properties destroyed in the latest incident as residents wail and call for government’s intervention.

Apart from their submerged residences, their livelihoods have also been affected with over ten boats and nets completely destroyed.

Joy News’ Volta Region correspondent Ivy Setordzie reported from Blekusu in the Volta Region the waves swept through the community around 6:00am, Sunday.
She said a good number of the residents there have been left homeless with women and children worst affected.

The residents are asking to be relocated as some of them have already taken refuge in homes of family members living in other communities.

]]>
<![CDATA[Deputy Minister to spend 30 days in jail if he fails to pay fine]]>Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:21:56 GMThttp://ghanaweb-news.com/1/post/2017/06/deputy-minister-to-spend-30-days-in-jail-if-he-fails-to-pay-fine.html Source: mynewsgh. com -A Deputy Minister of Monitoring and Evaluation,Williams Kwasi Sabi, has been found guilty of contempt by the Sunyani High Court and fined GH¢7,000. He is to serve a 30-day prison term should he fail to pay the fine.
On February 10, 2014, the court granted an interlocutory injunction restraining Mr Sabi and his privies, agents and assigns from clearing, preparing and or developing or dealing with a disputed piece of land pending the final determination of a suit. However, the respondents decided to disregard the order and went ahead with activities on the land in dispute, in spite of the order having been served them.

A second respondent in the suit filed by the Denteh Family of Asuotiano in the Dormaa East District in the Brong Ahafo Region, Mr Kwabena Agyasco, was also fined GH¢5,000 by the court for contempt. He will spend 25 days in prison if he fails to pay the fine. yasco, was also fined GH¢5,000 by the court for contempt. He will spend 25 days in prison if he fails to pay the fine.

According to the facts of the case, even as recent as 15/05/2017, the respondents, either by themselves or through their agents, were working on the land with impunity.

In his ruling, Mr Justice Nabarese said, “The action by the respondents, to say the least, was an affront to the dignity of the court, which is supposed to uphold the rule of law.”

He said he was not convinced by the open declaration of the respondents in court that they had shown remorse for their action.

“If their activities had stopped when this order for interlocutory injunction and the contempt application were served on them, then their plea to be dealt with leniently could be taken seriously,” Justice Nabarese said.

“In this regard, I find the respondents guilty of contempt and I proceed to convict them and sentence them accordingly,” he added.

]]>
<![CDATA[Parliament to probe bribery claim at Ghana Standard Authority]]>Wed, 24 May 2017 21:31:31 GMThttp://ghanaweb-news.com/1/post/2017/05/parliament-to-probe-bribery-claim-at-ghana-standard-authority.html Source: myjoyonline. com - Parliament’s Trade, Industry and Tourism Committee says it will investigate the bribery allegations against a former Director-General of the Ghana Standards Authority.

The Committee said it will interrogate the relevant people in connection with the $1.2 million kickback allegedly received by Dr George Crentsil from a contractor.
Committee Chairman, Daniel Nii Kwartei Titus-Glover told Adom FM Wednesday, he will summon the committee members when Parliament reconvenes.

“Nothing can stop the current committee from going into the issue…as the Chairman I need to meet with my members and we will study the report,” he said.

The former GSA Director-General has been cited by an investigative report intercepted by Joy News as having taken a $1.2 million bribe from a construction company, Lemet Construction.

The company was awarded a contract to construct a new block of the Standards Authority Training School at a cost of GHS15 million.

Although the report did not state why the money was given out, it said Dr Crentsil admitted receiving some money.

He is said to have received the money in two tranches, $1 million on one occasion and $200,000 on another occasion.

The report is said to have been submitted by the GSA Board of Directors to then Trade Minister, Dr Ekwow Spio-Gabrah on his last day in office.

The new Trade Minister, Alan Kyerematen has directed a forensic audit into the allegation.

In a letter addressed to the Senior Minister, Mr Yaw Osafo Maafo, the Trade Minister wants the activities of GSA under the leadership of Dr Crentsil to be probed.

Mr Titus-Glover said Parliament’s decision to investigate the matter will complement what the government is doing.

He said the Trade Committee will meet when the House reconvenes on either May 30 or June 11, 2017.

“If possible we can ask for a copy of the report to study it [and] we will invite whoever is involved for clarification,” he said.

]]>
<![CDATA[Fetish Priestess busted for recruiting prostitutes]]>Wed, 24 May 2017 21:20:42 GMThttp://ghanaweb-news.com/1/post/2017/05/fetish-priestess-busted-for-recruiting-prostitutes.html Source: kasapafmonline. com - The Suame Divisoinal Police Command has arrested a fetish priestess Nana Ama Serwaa alias Asuobena Komfo at Barekese in the Atwima Nwabiagya North of the Ashanti region for recruiting young girls within and outside the region to her house to engage in illicit sex trade.
The Ashanti Regional Police Commander DCOP Ken Yeboah briefing the media said a search conducted on the suspect’s seventeen (17) bedroom apartments led to the retrieval of a quantity of used and unused condoms, fake traditional medicine license bearing Nana Ama Serwaa’s name.

According to him, upon interrogation, the suspect mentioned one Christopher Owusu, 25 years as the person who issued her with the fake license.

His premises were searched and a quantity of capsules and plastic containers containing creams with the inscription REBEC VANICURE and REBEC MAN Capsules were retrieved.

He admitted to have issued Nana Ama Serwaa with fake license.

Nana Ama Serwaa operates her business without licence under the Traditional Medicine Practice Act 2000 (Act 575).

]]>
<![CDATA[Re-arrest Delta Force 8 now - PPP]]>Wed, 24 May 2017 20:58:30 GMThttp://ghanaweb-news.com/1/post/2017/05/re-arrest-delta-force-8-now-ppp.html Source: todaygh. com - Progressive People’s Party (PPP) has charged the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) to immediately re-arrest the eight members of the political vigilante group affiliated to the party, Delta Force, who were freed by a Kumasi Circuit Court, describing the release as a “disrespect of justice.”

]]>